Thursday, November 22, 2012

The First Appointment

After getting my results from the ultrasound, my doctor told me to find myself an ENT (Ears, Nose, and Throat) doctor also known as Otolaryngology to find out what the next stop was, though I would soon find out that would take awhile.  Originally my family doctor told me to go to one ENT group from the area, but I had gone to them a year prior, but was not impressed by them.  So I went to search for a new one and I never knew how hard it would be to find a decent specialist in my area.  I also learned it would be hard to get in fast until now.

I spent at least two full days searching online for an ENT nearby that had good reviews.  I didn't want to find another doctor that didn't listen to me and told me nothing was wrong (I had this happen to me many times including a time when I had a cyst the size of a softball in my back).  I called UC Hospital for an appointment with one of their ENTs, but sadly my first choice would have been a two month wait.  I told the one over the phone I couldn't wait since I was having issues breathing, swallowing, four nodules, and a slightly enlarged thyroid.  Luckily I was able to get an appointment with my second choice three weeks later on August 27th.

For three weeks I kept researching online what could be wrong with me...  I have an aunt with Hashimoto's and we thought maybe I had that, so I kept cross referencing with her symptoms and mine as well as what I found on the internet.  I don't know why, but I had a feeling to look into Thyroid Cancer and their symptoms, it just kept drawing me in.  My family and my boyfriend all told me that it's probably not that and not to worry about it too much.  Though eventually my mom and I agreed it wouldn't hurt to know to just prepare myself.  I didn't wanna go dramatic if my doctor told me the news and I could think straight to ask him any questions I had.

The first day I went to see my doctor I was surprised  how young he was, probably a few years older than me.  He asked what was going on and I told him, I also had the ultrasound report with me.  Of course, he asked if there were any thyroid issues in the family and I told him about my aunt.  Then he asked about cancer of the gland and the answer was no, but I did warn him that anyone that cancer in my family are the first ones of that type.  He did a fine-needle biopsy on the largest nodule stabbing my neck four times, the last two being the worse.  He also wanted to run blood tests on me to see what my levels were like and then do a barium swallow test and an endoscopy because of my swallowing issue. I've been having the issue with the swallowing most of my life, so he thought this could be something different from the nodules and the breathing issue.

Now began the waiting game and the testing phase of this whole thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment